Hardayal Municipal Public Library Delhi faces closure
19th September, 2012, Chandni Chowk, Hardayal Municipal Public Library in Old Delhi plays host to many stray cats.
This Raj-era library, was instituted by the British in 1862, when it was called the Institute Library. Now housing some 8,000 rare books (of a total of 1,70,000) in a building nearly a century old it has close to 1,200 members and gets several hundred visitors a day. The rare books include a 1677 edition of Sir Walter Raleigh's History of the World and a Herodotus volume in the original Greek from 1826. But these books, like the library, are currently facing a threat. It has been four months since the library received salaries for its staff, let alone development funds and its feared it will be closed.
PHOTOGRAPH BY AND COPYRIGHT OF SIMON DE TREY-WHITE
+ 91 98103 99809
+44 07966 405896
+44 1963 220 745
email: email@example.com photographer in delhi